The Indaba will be held at the University of the Witwatersrand in Braamfontein, Johannesburg. Here are ways you can get there by public transport or car.
Public Transport options
Travel from the Airport:
- Uber or Taxify: An easy option is to use these taxi-apps, they are safe and convenient. You can also save by sharing a ride with someone also attending the Indaba; use the Facebook group to check if anyone you know is travelling on the same flight and arrange a meeting place outside arrivals at the airport and travel together.
- Gautrain. Johannesburg’s city train travels from Johannesburg International Airport to Park Station which is located in Braamfontein. You can buy tickets using the machines at the airport terminal.
- Public Taxis. There are also several taxis available outside the airport terminal.
- Car hire. Cars can be rented at several locations, though parking is extremely limited.
Travel within Johannesburg:
Getting here by Car
Travel by car description from this page is below.
From OR Tambo International Airport
- Take the JHB/PTA exit
- Continue on the R24 towards JHB
- Keep left onto the N3 (at the 113 Gillooly ‘s Interchange)
- Keep left and take the M2 Francois Oberholzer on ramp (at the Geldenhuis Interchange)
- Keep left onto the M1 (at the Crown Interchange)
- Complete directions as if coming from the south of JHB
From the south of Johannesburg travelling on the M1 Freeway
- Take the M10 Smit Str off ramp, Wits , keep left and take slip road
- First left into Eendracht Str
- Second left into De Korte StrStraight into Yale Rd
From the north of Johannesburg travelling on the M1 Freeway
- Take the R55 Empire Rd, Wits
- Turn right at the “T” junction into Empire Rd
- Turn left after the bridge into Yale Rd
Everyone sponsored by the Indaba will stay at the wonderful Once in Joburg, located just 5 minutes walk from the university, and is our accommodation partner for the Indaba.
- Once in Joburg has several different types of rooms from shared dorms to larger private rooms.
- You can get a 10% discount if you stay here. Send an email to the organisers and we will let Once in Joburg know you are an attendee and they will apply the discount. Ideally, you should do this before making a booking on the website.
There are several other accommodation options available in the area immediately around Wits University. The following are also within a 5 minutes walk.
The University and Braamfontein are well connected within Johannesburg, and make it easy to travel if staying in other parts of Johannesburg.